The Official NTSD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is closed?

+5
PauloHPBender
Raka
.::Nakato::.
Storm
NaZiiTo
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Why is closed? Empty Re: Why is closed?

Post by Storm February 22nd 2011, 8:47 pm

Simple. It was getting overrun with spam.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Health Health : 165
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 22nd 2011, 10:38 pm

Storm, that's lame, you know that? I thought mods had the option to split posts, or delete them, you could just split them to the trash bin, instead of closing the thread..
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Health Health : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Raka February 22nd 2011, 10:39 pm

Erm, actually it was Divi who closed it >.<
Raka
Raka

Health Health : 645
Registration date : 2008-07-08

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 22nd 2011, 10:41 pm

Doesn't change the fact that mods should not close threads like that, they could just split the posts or delete them, not close the whole thread. Especially if the thread creator did nothing wrong.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by PauloHPBender February 23rd 2011, 12:17 am

.::Nakato::. wrote:Doesn't change the fact that mods should not close threads like that, they could just split the posts or delete them, not close the whole thread. Especially if the thread creator did nothing wrong.

Splitting the posts or deleting them does not prevent the thread to keep being spammed.
PauloHPBender
PauloHPBender

Health Health : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 12:20 am

PauloHPBender wrote:
.::Nakato::. wrote:Doesn't change the fact that mods should not close threads like that, they could just split the posts or delete them, not close the whole thread. Especially if the thread creator did nothing wrong.

Splitting the posts or deleting them does not prevent the thread to keep being spammed.

Yes, it does. Certain people start with the spamming, others follow. Take for example lf-e, they always split the spam posts - everything there is under great control. Closing the thread does not solve the problem, well not the whole spamming problem anyway, the users who spam, can just move to another thread or whatever. Point is, splitting or/and deleting spam posts, does in fact help.

And if mods would just warn the people who spam, this would easily stop. Unless they are mods tryin' to be funny, then splitting the post is enough.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Divisor XII February 23rd 2011, 12:28 am

Closing a thread is easier to split posts.

Why should I bother respecting your wishes, if you can't even keep offtopic discussion out of threads like these.
When you actually put some effort in f.e. not going offtopic, then I will repay you by splitting/merging whatever.

If not, then I'll just warn your asses beside locking the threads.
Divisor XII
Divisor XII
Jounin of the Leaf
Jounin of the Leaf

Health Health : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 12:34 am

Divisor XII wrote:Closing a thread is easier to split posts.

Why should I bother respecting your wishes, if you can't even keep offtopic discussion out of threads like these.
When you actually put some effort in f.e. not going offtopic, then I will repay you by splitting/merging whatever.

If not, then I'll just warn your asses beside locking the threads.

Are you talking about this thread? if so, then it's on topic. It's my opinion on the thread locking, it wasn't meant specific towards you, but to any mod. If you mods would just warn/prevent the off topic posts, then it would stop, that's what I'm saying. They are going off topic, because they think they can - learn them that they can't do that, and they wont.

If someone would make a thread to discuss something, and 5 users would post on topic things, and the other 3 would go off topic - the thread would be locked, right? how would that be fair to the thread creator? punish the guiltly, not the innocent Very Happy
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by PauloHPBender February 23rd 2011, 1:02 am

.::Nakato::. wrote:
PauloHPBender wrote:

Yes, it does. Certain people start with the spamming, others follow. Take for example lf-e, they always split the spam posts - everything there is under great control. Closing the thread does not solve the problem, well not the whole spamming problem anyway, the users who spam, can just move to another thread or whatever. Point is, splitting or/and deleting spam posts, does in fact help.

And if mods would just warn the people who spam, this would easily stop. Unless they are mods tryin' to be funny, then splitting the post is enough.

Good point, now i agree with the "warn and split" idea.
PauloHPBender
PauloHPBender

Health Health : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm February 23rd 2011, 1:23 am

.::Nakato::. wrote:Storm, that's lame, you know that? I thought mods had the option to split posts, or delete them, you could just split them to the trash bin, instead of closing the thread..
That wasn't even me who closed the thread genius.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 1:27 am

Storm wrote:
.::Nakato::. wrote:Storm, that's lame, you know that? I thought mods had the option to split posts, or delete them, you could just split them to the trash bin, instead of closing the thread..
That wasn't even me who closed the thread genius.

I never said it was you who closed it, now did I? read again. I was talking about mods in general.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm February 23rd 2011, 1:47 am

Mods in general reserve the RIGHT to close a thread if it doesn't stay on topic.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 1:47 am

Storm wrote:Mods in general reserve the RIGHT to close a thread if it doesn't stay on topic.

I never said they didn't. I was giving my opinion on the matter.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm February 23rd 2011, 3:59 am

Simply warning someone for spam won't deter them from spamming again in another thread. Banning someone is only a minor action after all. Most members never learn their lesson after a single ban anyway.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riki X February 23rd 2011, 5:02 am

I agree, we should remove Raka's mod powers and then ban him for spamming
Riki X
Riki X

Health Health : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Divisor XII February 23rd 2011, 6:30 am

We have the rules, and the rules say don't go offtopic.
When people start respecting the rules, then we mods can afford to be more lenient.

A mod's work is not to remind everyone to follow the clear rules everybody should read, but simply sanction them when they break them.

If I was doing my job exactly as I should, then I'd have to warn everyone + lock the thread. If you want that, then it can be arranged, no problem with me.

And besides, Naziito's question was already answered by multiple people, so it was supposed to be locked anyway.
Divisor XII
Divisor XII
Jounin of the Leaf
Jounin of the Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Stunkata8 February 23rd 2011, 10:53 am

I was just say that the rulls say Not to go offtopic! Turning someone's thread into a spam fest (i believe that there were even one word posts in there) should be punished!
Stunkata8
Stunkata8
Asmodeus (Luxuria)
Asmodeus (Luxuria)

Health Health : 65
Registration date : 2009-09-10

http://stun-world.hit.bg/

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 11:37 am

Storm wrote:Simply warning someone for spam won't deter them from spamming again in another thread. Banning someone is only a minor action after all. Most members never learn their lesson after a single ban anyway.

True. But if they spam a thread for the lol, and one of you mods would just split those posts to the trash bin, the thread itself wouldn't need to get closed.

Riki X wrote:I agree, we should remove Raka's mod powers and then ban him for spamming

You see?!?! you come out of nowhere, to bash Raka, if you would just split this post to the trash bin.. i'm sure Riki would be only mad, and then do it again, and then get mad again.

Divisor XII wrote:We have the rules, and the rules say don't go offtopic.
When people start respecting the rules, then we mods can afford to be more lenient.

A mod's work is not to remind everyone to follow the clear rules everybody should read, but simply sanction them when they break them.

If I was doing my job exactly as I should, then I'd have to warn everyone + lock the thread. If you want that, then it can be arranged, no problem with me.

And besides, Naziito's question was already answered by multiple people, so it was supposed to be locked anyway.

Some people have to learn it the hard way. And not all the off topic posts are that bad, but I'm talking about the ones made by riki or raka etc. Still though, my point is - can't there be a different way, where the thread doesn't suffer under the action of teh spammers?

According to Storm his post it was closed for a different reason. If it's for your reason(divisor) then it's fine.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Divisor XII February 23rd 2011, 2:33 pm

The thing is, there is a difference between deleting posts here and on LFE.
On LFE, posts don't get deleted, but get disposed instead. The difference between deleting and disposing is that disposed posts get moved into a special trash section, where they are still visible by everyone, although they cease to be a part of the original thread.
Meanwhile on here, I don't have the option to dispose posts. I think the forum used to have a trash section, but apparently it doesn't anymore, so if I delete posts they cease to exist completely.
The problem is, that if I warn someone for spam and then delete his post, I don't have any evidence of his offense. If I could dispose the post however, the posts would still remain intact as evidence.

With that being said, I guess I'll just warn everyone who goes offtopic and only lock the thread if it goes too out of control.
Divisor XII
Divisor XII
Jounin of the Leaf
Jounin of the Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 3:25 pm

Divisor XII wrote:The thing is, there is a difference between deleting posts here and on LFE.
On LFE, posts don't get deleted, but get disposed instead. The difference between deleting and disposing is that disposed posts get moved into a special trash section, where they are still visible by everyone, although they cease to be a part of the original thread.

Meanwhile on here, I don't have the option to dispose posts. I think the forum used to have a trash section, but apparently it doesn't anymore, so if I delete posts they cease to exist completely.
The problem is, that if I warn someone for spam and then delete his post, I don't have any evidence of his offense. If I could dispose the post however, the posts would still remain intact as evidence.

With that being said, I guess I'll just warn everyone who goes offtopic and only lock the thread if it goes too out of control.

I know all of the things in red. I thought the trash bin was still there just not visible for normal users, meh, I guess that explains it then. ty for explaining it.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Raka February 23rd 2011, 3:27 pm

Trash Bin is still there and visible to admins only.
Raka
Raka

Health Health : 645
Registration date : 2008-07-08

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm February 23rd 2011, 9:31 pm

No moderator nor admin here is going to specifically split certain posts to the trash bin and leave others the way they are. That's already too much work as is. There's only two options: stick the topic and not get warned by one of us or see your thread closed and get warned. No if's, and's, or but's about it.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by .::Nakato::. February 23rd 2011, 9:37 pm

Storm wrote:No moderator nor admin here is going to specifically split certain posts to the trash bin and leave others the way they are. That's already too much work as is. There's only two options: stick the topic and not get warned by one of us or see your thread closed and get warned. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

That only counts for this forum, it isn't that much work at all. I understand Divisor his reasoning though, but if the option was there, and mods still wouldn't do it.. trust me, there would be MANY but's about it.

And I was talking about people spamming other people their threads, while the creator of the thread has nothing to with it. Anyway, please don't make conclusions such as 'No moderator nor admin here is going to specifically split certain posts to the trash bin' since you don't know if they would do that, if they had the option. I'll stop argueing now, since Divisor already explained it.
St. Gabriel
St. Gabriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm February 23rd 2011, 11:26 pm

.::Nakato::. wrote:
Storm wrote:No moderator nor admin here is going to specifically split certain posts to the trash bin and leave others the way they are. That's already too much work as is. There's only two options: stick the topic and not get warned by one of us or see your thread closed and get warned. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

I'll stop argueing now.
Good. Never liked arguing anyway.
Storm
Storm
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down