The Official NTSD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superstitions thread

+10
Sarnicone
LiGhtninGeR
Stunkata8
Nave I
Reke
K E N T A R U
Divisor XII
Phoenix
.Omen
Eredale
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Superstitions thread Empty Superstitions thread

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 8:20 pm

Superstitions seem stupid and irrational, true... But why do you think they appeared in the first place, living through centuries? There is no such thing as a mere coincidence, even though you may see that as such - superstitions are rapidly proved, and have meaning, that you may not notice at first

So... congratulaions, I guess, lol
Eredale
Eredale

Health Health : 156
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Superstitions thread Empty Re: Superstitions thread

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 8:46 pm

Eredale wrote:Superstitions seem stupid and irrational, true... But why do you think they appeared in the first place, living through centuries? There is no such thing as a mere coincidence, even though you may see that as such - superstitions are rapidly proved, and have meaning, that you may not notice at first

So... congratulaions, I guess, lol
no they are not
the very definition of the word points out at the required ignorance

connecting 2 completely unrelated things and saying that the connection is genuine are true is so godamn stupid.
do you know what "proven " means?
Its like hearing a creationist saying that the bible and God have been "proven"
to establish something beyond doubt means it will be a 100% repeatable and observable

not a 1:1000000 chance

and yes,there is such a thing as chance and coincidence ,to human standards
which are limited by our current level of comprehension,that is what chance is...our inability to completely know and comprehend by the speed of which the said chance is happening

if we were omniscient than there would be no chance to our cognitive realm

so please dont tell me that if I break a mirror,it has been proven that I shall suffer 7 years of bad luck,or that if I dont do a little retarded ritual every time I see a black cat walk the across road
.Omen
.Omen

Health Health : -32
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 8:58 pm

I expected.. no, I relied on you to not believe in superstitions

How do you know that nothing bad is going to happen? You can't say it for sure right? There is a chance that all is going to be fine, and there is a chance it won't, right? In your perception, you don't know these chances, since they are unpredictable

But the folk are always watching the events, and throughout the time they noticed, that when a black cat crosses your path, it's more likely to get bad - not 100%, but most likely

It's like old sayings about weather

Same goes for the one Kentaru brought in
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 9:31 pm

no its not

if I now say

its more likely that you will die by kethup if I say it will be done so ,if you,I dunno.......scratch your nose the wrong way?

Did it become more likely just because I said it?

Nobody noticed,its just a folk tale

you see

People than were stupid,they believed in cloning fish,invisible people,dragons,alchemy...they believed in alot of shit
especially local folk tails

"Ey' Did ya hear that the village whore from the village nearby had a pig for a child?"

They believed in that shit

so when somebody said that a certain action might be bad luck,they believed it

because they thought that the big guy is real and is watching them and shit

they also thought that he made it rain,and that he made things fall on to the ground.

Saying something doesnt make it true or any more likely ,however pointing it out,does make it more noticable

example:Black people steal as shown in the news...your presumption is than that black people are likely to be criminals,when infact the actual FACTS tell a different story

its infact egomaniacal to even thing something like that
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 9:41 pm

Actually, a lot of superstitions do have a scientific basis, they just weren't tested yet

Like, for example, the one where it says that when you yawn you "infect" people with it - sounds dumb, right? But there were experiments and it was proven true
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 9:47 pm

firstly they say that you infect a person with yawning,not a illness

and please dont use terms you do not understand

scientific basis,and and a action having an scientific outcome if we change 70% of it and twist the analogy ...are not the same thing

also alot of things that were "hey it turns out its somehow true" are due to animal instincts
especially danger,hygiene and interaction
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 9:49 pm

Science does not have to be precise at all times

They study possibilities and chances too
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 9:52 pm

SCIENTIFIC BASIS!

and scientifically correct outcome

do you see the difference?

one is at the start,and helps you conclude

one is a conclusion or a observation

and accurate?

its not even close.....they already knew you could catch disease when the folk tale was made mind you
because a large amount of these...especially the ones you described ,happened during or after the black plague roamed europe

and contagion was well known,what it was is a different matter
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 9:57 pm

Let me be a dumbass aswell

u see during the black plague alot of people died in Romania and Serbia

a superstition came to be

it was about a creature that rises from the grave

to stop one rising from the grave you must d a stupid retarded ritual

if you do the ritual it is more likely that the person will not rise from the dead

because I just said it

now lets do what you did with he yawning shall we?

you see the superstition says that their bodies change

which is true in a entirely different manner

so when they say "he transforms into a creature of the night"

they mean he gets bloated,he rots and decomposes

OH MY GGOD

THEY WEREZ RIGHT!!!!
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 9:58 pm

I think you failed to get my example - I was talking about infesting someone with yawning, but that's not the point

And besides, it's a matter of research to get to understand the nature of superstitions - after all, they weren't created like you say, "someone said something and everyone believed". People observed things, and saw pattens in events

Patterns

In events
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix September 7th 2010, 9:58 pm

Eredale wrote:Science does not have to be precise at all times

They study possibilities and chances too
Actually real science is a practice that deals only in absolutes...
They make controlled environment to test these things so that they don't rely on chance or possibility.
This is why scientific people do not believe in God, this is why the Renaissance Era was so important.
People examined their own lives and stopped falling for this silly folk lore.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Akatsuki Trainee
Akatsuki Trainee

Health Health : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 10:01 pm

And this is why some scientists lately came to make religious remarks? A scientist is not a machine, he's not bound to be atheistic or something like that, and there are religious scientists, they just don't believe that there's some old guy sitting on a cloud controlling our life, like most retards do - that's just stupid
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 10:03 pm

Eredale wrote:I think you failed to get my example - I was talking about infesting someone with yawning, but that's not the point

And besides, it's a matter of research to get to understand the nature of superstitions - after all, they weren't created like you say, "someone said something and everyone believed". People observed things, and saw pattens in events

Patterns

In events

That is a basic mind trick that we humans posses...as I said..something gets more noticed once it has been pointed out

let me give you an example

I watcha show,and find out that the car from that good old movie where they time travel is called "Dolorian",me being a totally ignorant about cars remebered that fact...in the next week of that information being pointed out to me..I start noticing dolorian everywhere

did the dolorian related happenings come magically because I tpped into my Jesus points?

no

a same amount of related happenings happened before,I just didnt notice them

its not a pattern...
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix September 7th 2010, 10:07 pm

Eredale wrote:And this is why some scientists lately came to make religious remarks? A scientist is not a machine, he's not bound to be atheistic or something like that, and there are religious scientists, they just don't believe that there's some old guy sitting on a cloud controlling our life, like most retards do - that's just stupid
Scientists that still 'believe' in religion have no reason to and are most likely doing this for social reasons.
A real scientists that thinks only in reality and takes the time to learn why so and so happens does not have room for religion.
This is the same for most historians. Going back to the topic, we look at these silly folklore and think "Glad I'm not stupid enough to believe that."
Yet we look at the religious crusades, genocides, and other tragic events caused by none other than religion... and people just go to the next chapter in their history books and shrug it off with false senses of "That's not MY religion."

Example of folk lore: "If you lie, your tongue will be cut out."
Natural modern reaction in general: "Bullshit."

Example of religion: "If you masterbate, you're thrown in a big pit after you die and burn for all of eternity... unless you get to a church and beg a random stranger for forgiveness"
Natural modern reaction of stupid people: "Oh god... I gotta get to a church"
Natural modern reaction of smart people: "Bullshit. -Continues fapping.-"
Phoenix
Phoenix
Akatsuki Trainee
Akatsuki Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 10:08 pm

It is a pattern - something that has been noticed lots before by lots of people is a pattern, however, not a precise one

And your example is invalid and unrelated - how is seeing a car dependent on something? It's not

You just pulled shit out of ur ass

What I say is that you shouldn't neglect superstitions, like you so much love to
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 10:13 pm

Eredale wrote:It is a pattern - something that has been noticed lots before by lots of people is a pattern, however, not a precise one

And your example is invalid and unrelated - how is seeing a car dependent on something? It's not

You just pulled shit out of ur ass

What I say is that you shouldn't neglect superstitions, like you so much love to

no thats a common observation,not a pattern

and my example is valid

you see a black cat?thats bad luck omg

the shock factor makes you remember it!

now you notice black cats everywhere

and the funny thing is,that black cats were the most common color of that time int hat region of england and europe

pattern is a repeatable process ,to be more precise a PREDICTABLE process due to past events
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 10:20 pm

You think wrong

When I see a black cat, I already know that it's a bad omen, and something can possibly happen, so I have to act more careful - I lose nothing for doing so, right? No reason to not value the superstition.

And it doesn't make me notice black cats everywhere - why the hell do you think that

And oh, I forgot that the Gay the Kid is here

Listen here, fa~ oh right, that harms your cute little senses

Okay, so you think that scientists are machines, right? Lemme say something - you are WRONG. My grandfather is a scientist, in a quite complicated branch of metal physics, and he believes in God, and is Christian. ZOMG A MIRACLE, your head must explode now

Oh, and if you think that a "modern smart person" does such remarks, I pity you

Oh wait, ur gay so I don't
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix September 7th 2010, 10:44 pm

Eredale wrote:You think wrong

When I see a black cat, I already know that it's a bad omen, and something can possibly happen, so I have to act more careful - I lose nothing for doing so, right? No reason to not value the superstition.

And it doesn't make me notice black cats everywhere - why the hell do you think that

And oh, I forgot that the Gay the Kid is here

Listen here, fa~ oh right, that harms your cute little senses

Okay, so you think that scientists are machines, right? Lemme say something - you are WRONG. My grandfather is a scientist, in a quite complicated branch of metal physics, and he believes in God, and is Christian. ZOMG A MIRACLE, your head must explode now

Oh, and if you think that a "modern smart person" does such remarks, I pity you

Oh wait, ur gay so I don't
I'm not gonna burst your little homophobic bubble, if you want to pretend that all gay people are bad then go ahead. You may even feel important when other homophobic people commend you for making such comments, but it's really just an illusion. I feel bad for you honestly, you're just trapped in the ramblings of a book made centuries ago and that is truly worth my pity.

Good luck to you, hopefully you snap out of your sad existence and that it happens before you get into any real trouble. Also, thanks for calling my senses cute, I usually just think of them as common.

Last edited by Death the Kid on September 7th 2010, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phoenix
Phoenix
Akatsuki Trainee
Akatsuki Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Divisor XII September 7th 2010, 10:47 pm

Eredale, stop with this gay stuff...
You've said it a million times and we all know you despise and hate homosexual people and so on. Seriously, can't you just post without flaming someone?
Divisor XII
Divisor XII
Jounin of the Leaf
Jounin of the Leaf

Health Health : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by K E N T A R U September 7th 2010, 10:53 pm

I never ment It was instant I'm only turning 17. I dont live in India or something.
But they got really sereous about me getting married and me einding it to my gf so they most likely are going to push for age 22 marrage thats when my dad got married his first time my grandpa and my great grandpa.
K E N T A R U
K E N T A R U
NTSDII Leader
NTSDII Leader

Health Health : 184
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 10:53 pm

I dislike the Bible, so you fail implying I follow it

Neither am I a Christian

And of course you won't, since you're incapable to do it in any way, lacking arguments towards your side. No one ever commended me for fighting homosexuality, I do that because I know it's the right thing to put ones like you to their place

Oh, and thanks for the good luck, maybe I should respond with a curse on you... nah, that'll waste my evening relaxation time

@Divisor
Of course I can. I just can't do it when such people are here
And no, I won't stop bashing homosexuality, no matter how much you want me to - it's like asking him to become straight, that's just the way I am

And anyway, we got into serious discussion now... I guess we should stop, unless Kentaru says that this is allowed ITT

I still say that one should listen to superstitions, simply because it doesn't require any significant effort
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 10:54 pm

K E N T A R U wrote:I never ment It was instant I'm only turning 17. I dont live in India or something.
But they got really sereous about me getting married and me einding it to my gf so they most likely are going to push for age 22 marrage thats when my dad got married his first time my grandpa and my great grandpa.
nobody cares,its not about you

stay out of it

the point now is that science and rationality is looked upon falsely,and the logical problematic of the "it cannot due harm" attitude
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Reke September 7th 2010, 10:56 pm

Superstitions thread I_like_where_this_thread_is_going

You know about that old saying "All roads lead to Rome?"?
Guess where all threads lead to. ~ Divisor

Stop raeping my posts uberserious

Razz

I guess you are right, deevisawr. teh force is strong with this one. ~ Reke

Last edited by Reke on September 7th 2010, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reke
Reke

Health Health : 185
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by .Omen September 7th 2010, 10:57 pm

Eredale wrote:I dislike the Bible, so you fail implying I follow it

Neither am I a Christian

And of course you won't, since you're incapable to do it in any way, lacking arguments towards your side. No one ever commended me for fighting homosexuality, I do that because I know it's the right thing to put ones like you to their place

Oh, and thanks for the good luck, maybe I should respond with a curse on you... nah, that'll waste my evening relaxation time

@Divisor
Of course I can. I just can't do it when such people are here
And no, I won't stop bashing homosexuality, no matter how much you want me to - it's like asking him to become straight, that's just the way I am

And anyway, we got into serious discussion now... I guess we should stop, unless Kentaru says that this is allowed ITT

I still say that one should listen to superstitions, simply because it doesn't require any significant effort
but int eh end it requires effort,and unnecessary effort
.Omen
.Omen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale September 7th 2010, 11:01 pm

Does it require effort to not walk under a ladder when you see it?

No

Does it require effort to not break mirrors?

No

And even if you have to do something like in the black cat case, it's not like you have to climb Mt. Olympus or something, it can be done easily
Eredale
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next